I don’t know how many times I’ve redesigned this site over the past 4 years, but here’s another one, just launched this morning.
Layout-wise, there’s nothing really all that different. It’s more of a different skin than anything, and (out of sheer laziness) the comments and footer area have pretty much remained the same. Basically, I got tired of the dull looking header/sidebar in the previous design and wanted something cleaner and with a little more color.
Here are some notes of things I changed and things I’m still working on:
- A simple new logo that allows more room for the main nav
- Went with the (admittedly) overused but beautiful League Gothic for nav and headings
- Switched to a serif body font
- Using faux columns, but it’s responsive
- I will be testing on iPad later today, but generally it should be okay on there, I just haven’t looked yet
- Smaller mobile devices should likewise be acceptable, but probably far from perfect
- The navigation now includes a link called “Worth a Look” which is the Roundups & Resources category
- Eventually, the main navigation will have a “Screencasts” link, which I’ve been wanting to do more of but haven’t gotten around to
- I was all set to use indented paragraphs with no double spacing, but there were just too many things I didn’t like about that style for the current content
There are probably various bugs and font/alignment inconsistencies that I haven’t spotted yet, so if you notice anything, please let me know.